Every parent knows how complicated child custody arrangements can be. Not only are you trying to figure out who should have custody, but there are also issues about visitation rights, support, and more to deal with. These legal discussions must occur in court where the other spouse is represented by their attorney. The best way to get through this process is by hiring your child custody attorney.
If you’ve never needed an attorney for anything before, this may seem like a strange suggestion. However, there’s a good reason for that: having your lawyer on your side will give you an edge in court that otherwise wouldn’t exist. It all comes down to experience. A child custody attorney will have years of experience in court and building strategies for these cases. If you’re going through this process, it makes sense to do it right from the beginning.
It would help if you had a good lawyer on your side when you file papers with the court, but you want someone equally skilled when ongoing negotiations with the other parent regarding visitation rights and support payments. To make sure that the correct person has been selected for this important task, follow these steps below:
- Look for an immediate connection. Someone may mention the name of an attorney they know or suggest one out of their interest. This is not always a good indicator of whether someone will be able to handle your case. You need to do some research before you hire someone new, especially if they will be dealing with something this complex.
- Ask questions. If you are already meeting with a child custody attorney for the first time, make sure you know what to expect from them. Do not be afraid to ask about anything you are uncertain about. A good lawyer will understand what it takes to create a solid strategy and talk more openly about how things work once things become more formalized.
- Once you’ve narrowed down your list of possible lawyers, look into people who have used them in the past. What were their experiences? Would they recommend working with this lawyer for a child custody case? How much did it cost, and was it worth the expense? Get referrals. In some cases, you might even find that people who have been through a similar process can give you more information about the person you are considering than an attorney ever could.
- There’s no denying that hiring an attorney for child custody is stressful and complicated at best, so there’s no reason to avoid asking simple questions when you meet with someone. Trust your gut. If something feels off or uncomfortable, think twice before giving them your business. This is not just about choosing someone with whom you feel comfortable; it’s also about finding the right professional who will be able to look out for your best interests.
- While it may seem like an obvious thing to do, you would be surprised at the number of people who make this mistake. Make sure they have experience with similar cases. It does not matter if you are dealing with child custody or something else; hire someone who has experience with something similar. Please do not get caught up in how much money they charge; look for someone who can provide you with a solid explanation of exactly what they plan to do and why.
If you follow each of these steps, you should find someone to help your family with child custody issues. Regardless of what has happened or how complex the case is, it’s always possible for anyone to get the support they need when they are willing to take the appropriate steps to make things better for everyone involved.